Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Multiple Edition Syndrome (MES) - a cure?

As some of you will remember, a short while ago, I identified a horrific syndrome that afflicted many veteran games in my blog 'Do you know the rules?'.

Multiple Edition Syndrome (MES) is a condition where you've played that many different editions, that the rules from the various editions have melded into one ruleset, often leading to critical errors on the battlefield. On that post, there was a comment from Dverning from Maunderings of a 40k Gamer. This is what he said .....

"When a new rulebook or codex releases, I sit down and read the entire rules section and take notes. It's easy to gloss over or forget changes when you're just reading. Taking notes at the same time forces that extra bit of comprehension. This also makes a handy "cheat sheet" when you head to the table for practice games."

Well, I took his excellent advice on board, and got myself an A4 notebook and started learning the rules from scratch, and I think it's most definitely a cure for MES. I've approached the rules with the mindset of a complete newbie, I even wrote notes on how the turns worked!

It may seem a bit silly for a veteran gamer with two decades of 40k under his belt to make notes on principles that are so basic and haven't changed in five editions but I didn't want to say I know that and then skip it, as I get further into the rules, this could lead to some serious oversights.

Instead, I've started from scratch and I'm going to learn the lot, there's only 96 pages and at a page a night, I should have it done in about three months. Once I've got the rules down, it'll be time to hit the codexes, no more having the wool pulled over my eyes by those doggy xenos and glory boy players again!

 

Finally, I'd like to share with you another reason why I love my wife so much. Obviously Valentines has just gone by and I treated her well, but she admitted that my present hadn't arrive yet. Instead it arrived yesterday ......


I really love that woman! Shame it didn't arrive earlier, as it would have made my latest project for little mans school a hell of a lot easier ......


There's still quite a bit to do on it before he returns to school on Monday, but I'm hopefully me and him will get it done in time - fingers crossed! You can follow the castles progress on my Google Buzz.

For all you guys who follow my blog for the models, I've got one more colour to put on 9 guys and 2nd Platoon will be finally finished, piccies coming soon.

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar