Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Flicking through Vogue on a Saturday morning.....

I was flicking through Vogue (on this sunshine-y Saturday morning) and I realised something - I was flicking through to the make-up section.
As a make-up artist, this shouldn't be anything new. In fact, it should be something I do with all magazines. It's a recent thing - there was a time when I was doing make-up freelance and I didn't care. I HATED reading about make-up and I wanted to get my hands into it. I wanted to feel the texture of make-up before I added it to my kit. I couldn't stand to read about the latest beauty must have because I wanted to know if it had a silky feel or a heavy feel, was it gritty or was it clean? I had to know. (side note that I still feel the same way about perfume articles - can't bear them!)



So I was interested to see an article called 'Mix Master', which was a Vogue attempt at writing about 'club make-up'. I hate when they do that because it feels almost like an intrusion into those of us who actually do club make-up. It's feel as if the magazine is trying to prove it is 'down with the kids' by featuring make-up that their older readers can scorn at.  I am a little.....meh about it.

However, this was an article about Yadim. A 29 year old make-up artist who has been responsible for some of the best make-up looks and shoots in Vogue this year. In fact, when I google his work to find images to show you - its all the shoots I have seen, loved and collected - and indeed remembered - from Vogue and ELLE UK. The man got skills.

That said, I wasn't a fan of the make-up that Vogue actually had him do. I think the reason for this is that it seemed a little....photoshopped. I know Patrick Demarchelier is a genius of the photographic world but this just seemed....fake. It  is flawless - the skill is flawless but the actual over all effect is just...there is something wrong with it. Not to mention that the artist speaks of how he loves when make-up goes wrong and then the shoot is perfection!!! Mind you, if your that skilled.....

.....also, club make-up aside.....this man can do a healthy dewy base like no other. I was so impressed by the quality of his foundation that I realised I was over looking the more insane stuff (which I never do) and focusing on the more mundane beauty looks because they were anything but mundane. They were fresh, dewy, natural and just gorgeous.

I urge you to google!

In the meantime - here are two bad shots of his Vogue work...

*Someone sent me a message on the facebook page after the last shot which had my hand in it and asked where they nail varnish is from - its Sally Hansen! It's called 'Pat on the black'...if your wallet isn't Sally Hansen friendly then check out MAC as they have a special edition varnish at the moment which also matches this shade. I forget the name of it but it comes from the Style Seeker collection! Hope that helps!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar